September 18, 2019 | oils
Tis the season to make elderberry syrup!
September 18, 2019 | oils
I added another level of crunch to my hippie ways recently. I'm always up for learning about any natural, proactive wellness tool, and elderberry syrup is a common one many of my circles use! I'd never made it before but our Grove tribe decided to do a big virtual hang out where we all could make it together. People, fun, hanging out, and healthy goodies? Count me in. There was even a #boilyourberries hashtag. What can I say, we like to have fun!
Anyway, here's the why and how:
Elderberries are small, red berries that are one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the world. Now, I think we've all established by now that plants are pretty cool, but check out these some historical benefits of elderberries.
-most commonly used medicinal plants in the world
-improve skin complexion
-boost the immune system
-combat coughs, colds, flu, and tonsillitis
Its a commonly used natural remedy, especially in the fall and winter. The bioflavonoids and other proteins in the juice of the berry destroy the ability of a cold or flu virus to infect a cell. Pretty stinking cool.
How to Make It:
2/3 cup dried black elderberries
3 1/2 cups of water
YL Vitality Essential oils (cinnamon bark, nutmeg, ginger, frankincense, clove, orange, thieves)
1 cup local raw honey
Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries only.
Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 45-60 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by almost half. Remove from heat and let cool enough to be handled. Use a spoon or potato masher to caefully mash the berries.
Pour through a mesh strainer into a glass jar or bowl.
Discard the elderberries and let the liquid cool to lukewarm.
When it has cooled, add 1 cup of honey, and a drop of each essential oil and stir well.
Pour the syrup into a quart sized mason jar or 16 ounce glass bottle of some kind. Store in fridge.
We added oils to ours for extra benefits and for a delish taste. I use a drop each of these:
* Thieves Vitality – This is a powerhouse blend that is like hulk for your immune system. SO GOOD.
* Nutmeg Vitality – Smells good, tastes good, super great for our energy levels.
* Clove Vitality – Off the charts in antioxidants!
* Ginger Vitality – Ginger is supportive to the digestive system. Its a great plan to keep that system working well since 90% of our immune system is in our gut!
* Cinnamon Bark Vitality – another immune system powerhouse.
* Frankincense Vitality – Historically a well-used oils. Give it a google, it does SO much. We get this on our body every singel day. You should google Frankincense oil. Just do it. For real.
*Orange Vitality - citrus oils are so delish! They also gently detox and contain the naturally occurring constituent limonene. Its so good for us!
We're now happily elderberry syrup fans! It tastes amazing! Matt & I take a tablespoon each day, and the kids get a tsp or so. I usually put a little in their ningxia and down the hatch! Definitely recommend.